CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

HYC Check In and some random stuff

Nothing really all that new to report challenge wise. Holding steady at 161. Been working my butt off at work totally tired and borderline stressed out. Me and my dog Laci have been going for a lot of walks in the last week but no loss or increase shown on the scale.

Now I want to ask for some advice from my readers. Our dog Laci is showing classic signs of separation anxiety. She's claimed me as her person and I can't go anywhere without her or she sits on the other side of the door and cries and howls until I come back. All we really found out about her when we adopted her was that her owner had recently passed away (of cancer..we found her owners obit on the internet) and that she had stayed with one of her owners son's for a couple of months until he found he could no longer afford to keep them (Laci and two babies). We think that there was mishandling done by some man in her past life because she doesn't like men at all! She's been peeing on the carpet in our living room because she won't let my dad get near her to put her outside even. I'm hoping someone out there can give me some idea's of things to do to keep her from being stressed out all the time. I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...poor Laci! Here's something you may want to try. Whenever your dad, or any man you want her to be friendly with is around, make sure they have a pocket of little treats, milk bones or whatever. Then have them offer her the treats every now and then. Especially when she is scared. Give her the treat and pet her. Hopefully that will help some. But it will take time.

As far as the seperation anxiety...I'm not sure if this works, but I heard of people leaving out some of their dirty laundry. Your scent is on the clothes, and the dog will smell you and it will help ease her a bit (not sure but maybe worth a try). ALSO, everytime you leave, give her a treat before you go & when you return. Maybe it will turn into a positive thing.

Good Luck! Let me know what happens!

WWSuzi said...

I'm actually wondering if just until she adjusts better you could get a presciption from the vet. Our cat had to go on prozac for a while and it definitely helped. Maybe a very mild sedative just to help her relax with your dad?? I'm sure there are other more natural ways unfortunately i have no ideas.

BITR Country Girl said...

We've been trying a lot of things but we hadn't tried the treats in the pocket idea yet. Even considering getting the vet involved. Thanks for the suggestions.

We've only had her since March and has had a handful of stressful situations come up in such a short time in her life. We're hoping with some time and patience things will get better.

Unknown said...

My dog has separation anxiety, ever since I got him when he was 6 months old. He is 8 now. Granted, he is better with age. If I go outside he whines until I come back in. The vet had told me years ago when I left the house to put an old piece of clothing with him so he had my scent. I don't suggest this, because he will occasionally get into my dirty laundry (very seldom, but it has happened) and suck/chew on them. I had a brand new pair of jeans that he sucked/chewed a hole in about 6 months ago. I had also tried puppy prozac. My dog went nutso on it but he was a puppy at the time.

I would just give her some time. Treats are definitely a good thing and let her come to him.